25.2.08

25: 79-02-62

_My hand-terminal's alarm woke me the next day while it was still dark. I flipped on the lights and went for a shower.

_At first light I had already had a small snack and was leaning patiently against a porch column, watching the horizon change. A door closed somewhere behind me and I turned to see Reichart mounting his truck. He pulled over and waved me on.

_"Got everything?"

_"Everything?"

_He answered with a stern glare, "Everything."

_"Everything," I reassured him by patting the various pockets and accessories to the jumpsuit and holding up the helmet.

_The dusty vehicle carried us towards a massive sunrise on the prairie.

_"I'm not the owner of the ranch."

_I had been watching the world wake up like a stage being set, and was caught off kilter, "what?"

_"The owner's name is Mauno. My job is right under him, and you will only have to answer to him, me, and one other. You are the new pilot for the Ranch Ramm; and its captain, Travor will be responsible for you while on missions."

_"What kind of music do you like?"

_The truck swerved wildly at Reichart's hands, "What?"

_"Do you talk about anything other than business? How is the local brew? How's the wife and kids? Read any good books lately?"

_He looked like he was holding his breath, and even though the truck bounced and bucked he seemed frozen...

_"After the wife and kids were murdered, I left my position as a librarian in the capital and moved out here. I fall asleep every Friday and Saturday drunk as a sponge."

_Silence ensued for the rest of the journey.

No comments: