28.11.07

7: 79-02-62

_As i was saying-

_I was at one of the lesser doors into the transport docks, on my way to an interplanetary jumpship.


_The code entered correctly and open slid the door. I jogged down empty corridors and into the main bay. A code to open the hangar door. A code to enter the jumpship corral. A code to start the closest jumpship. Flying up, I entered three last codes.

_The first closed the blast-proof hangar door.

_The second opened all the inside doors and added extra protection to vents and exits - a special emergency setting.

_The last caused the nuclear reactor for the docks to meltdown.

_Having covered my escape, I laid back and started to turn on my hand-terminal to link with the jumpship and enter coordinates. Then I smashed through a brick wall - or at least, that's what it felt like. The jumpship dropped out from under me and we began falling back down. The terminal had flown into the windshield. I grabbed it as I groped my way into an escape pod.

_Escape pods are not fun.

_They are tiny, the oxygen/nitrogen mix smells bad, and you are literally shot out of a gun before you simply implode along with the craft being left.

_So there you have it. My illustrious failed escape.

_Apparently, I forgot about checking to see where the atmospheric windows were before attempting exit - which could've been avoided had I linked my hand-terminal earlier. I hit a layer of wind or whatever (I don't know anything that in-depth) and it folded some of the stabilization foils over onto themselves. That must have shorted out some circuits and ruptured plenty of hydraulics. Way more than enough damage to ruin a flimsy jumpship.

_But, of course, if I had made that mistake with a nuclear bomber or interceptor craft, I would've been fireworks.

_The pod landed in brushland. In it, I found a new hand-terminal and survival supplies.

_Eh

_Time to go...

No comments: